You will encounter many different forms of massage depending where around the world you travel. However in this modern age, you can probably find all significant forms of massage within a close proximity.
Constipation is a condition wherein you experience infrequent bowel movements. Usually, bowel movements occur for less than 3x a week. It also refers to the condition wherein bowel movements become difficult to pass through.
A decrease in the frequency of bowel movements might occur for several weeks or even longer. Sometimes, the stools are dry and hard. In the United States, constipation is a common digestive problem that is experienced by about 16 out of a hundred adults.
Does Massage Therapy Help With Constipation?
Regular massage therapy sessions can help with constipation relief. The therapy helps you release waste products and gas. It might also be useful in treating associated conditions. For instance, regular massage therapy sessions can help relieve stress. This, in turn, relieves pain occurring in persons with irritable bowel syndrome.
Believed to be good for constipation, abdominal massages can be opted for by persons suffering from the said condition. In addition, other massage techniques can be beneficial too. You might use coconut, argan, or castor oil during abdominal massages. However, you and your therapist can experiment with the best essential oils for your condition.
Constipation Relief With Abdominal Massages
Research concluded that abdominal massages can be an effective method in the treatment of chronic constipation. Studies found out that it can help in relieving pain and discomfort. In addition, abdominal massages can help increase bowel movement frequency. Colonic transit period will also be shortened.
Ileus, a condition wherein movement within the intestines are temporarily blocked or slowed down, can result in intestinal obstruction. It has been found out that abdominal massage stimulates muscle contractions thus promoting bowel movements within persons suffering from postsurgical ileus.
Here’s a great way to perform abdominal massages yourself:
- Lay down on your back.
- Place a gentle pressure within your abdomen using both of your hands.
- Begin at the lower, right section of the abdomen. Slowly use your hands and make circles using gentle pressure. Use a clockwise direction.
- After which, use your right hand’s palm. This should be used massage the inside area of your hip bone. Simply put gentle pressure.
- Release your hands and then go to the right side of your body below the ribs. Apply pressure onto this area. After which, go to the left side of the same area.
- Switch towards your left hand.
- Use it to put pressure to your left hip bone’s inside section.
- Now, it’s time to use fingertips. Use fingers on both of your hands. Then, press your abdomen and pull in an upward motion.
- Again, begin in the bottom right area. After which, move clockwise.
- Repeat these steps for a few times. Be cautious about overdoing it.
Constipation Relief With Colon Massage
Massages applied towards the colon are also known as internal organ massages. Sometimes, it is called deep abdominal massages. Therapists states that colon massages can help to decrease abdominal fluid and eliminate, waste, blockages, and waste. It is also believed to promote overall health of the digestive system.
Currently, there are no scientific evidences backing up these claims. However, you can try to perform a colon massage yourself. Here’s how to do it:
- Put yourself in a sitting position. Ensure that your knees are bent. Also, make sure that your belly is soft to touch and your torso is not tightened up.
- Apply pressure towards your belly. You can use your fingertips or your knuckles. You can also use your hand’s heel.
- Massage the section of your colon shaped like a horseshoe.
- Being in the abdominals at the bottom right corner. After which, gradually move towards the upper portion of this area.
- Massage the area located below the ribs. After which, go to the left side and the area below it. Finally, move towards the central section.
- You can simply stop at any point in time. You can also focus on sections that require extra attention.
Constipation Relief Using Other Massage Types
Other massage types can be used to relieve constipation. These massage types do not focus on the abdomen alone. In addition, they can be used solely as a single technique or they can be used in combination with other massage forms. This gives you a variety of choices and allows you to select the best one that suits your needs.
Reflexology (Foot Massages)
Reflexology, also known as foot massage, is used to relieve constipation. One particular study concluded that children suffering from constipation shown improvements after undergoing through reflexology. The children were given reflexology sessions over a span of 6 weeks. They had 6 session lasting about 30 minutes each. During this study, reflexology also helped treat fecal soiling or encopresis.
Here’s how to do foot massages:
- Use your thumb in order to massage the central area of your right heel. Massage your way towards the outside edge.
- After which, massage towards the middle portion of your foot.
- Then, cross towards the left foot. Again, massage your way towards the outside edge.
- After which, massage the edge moving towards the central portion of the left heel.
- Finish the entire massage by moving towards the inside of your left foot.
A back massage targets the entire body and helps to relax the patient. Back massages are beneficial for stress relief, decrease of muscle tension, and improved digestion. These might lead to the treatment of constipation. Back massages might be done by your partner or a professional massage therapist.
A study conducted in 2015 concluded that perineal self-acupressure done in combination with standard care was significantly more effective in treating constipation in comparison with providing standard care only.
Massage was implemented for four weeks. The participants were improved in the following areas: overall well-being, bowel health and function, and quality of life in relation to constipation. You can do this by yourself through the following steps:
- Use two of your fingers in order to press the perineal skin. This is located between the scrotum or vagina AND anus.
- Push the skin towards the direction where your anus is located.
- Continue pushing for about 3 to 6 seconds every single time.
- This massage might be done every single time you want to pass bowel movement.
Massage In Babies
Tummy massages can be implemented towards babies. And it can be used to promote relaxation, treat constipation, and reduce stress. Massage therapy between moms and babies can also strengthen their bond.
To perform a tummy massage on your baby simply massage his or her stomach gently. Do this on the lower abdomen as well while using a clockwise direction. You can massage your baby for a few times every single day.
If you wish to massage your baby after feeding, wait for about 45 minutes or more. If the baby suffers from underlying conditions, it is best to talk to your physician before implementing an infant massage.
Check with your pediatrician if the child’s anus is bleeding. In addition, it is best to get advice from a doctor if your baby has signs of illness including weakness and vomiting, has constipation that spans more than a week, and has rectal or stomach pain that spans more than an hour.
Massage In Pregnancy
Massage can be done during the 2nd and 3rd trimester of pregnancy. Gentle abdominal massages must use soft motions only. You can perform the massage yourself. Or, it can be done by your partner or a professional massage therapist. Abdominal massages must be avoided during your pregnancy’s 1st trimester.
To Wrap It All Up
Abdominal and colon massages are beneficial for people suffering from constipation. It helps promote bowel movement and increase the frequency of the said occurrence. If you have consulted with your doctor about massage therapy and he or she has advised you to do so, then you can find a massage therapy clinic nearby. Eliminate those unhealthy toxins with massage therapy!