You will encounter many different forms of massage depending where around the world you travel. However in this modern age, you can probably find all significant forms of massage within a close proximity.
Massage Therapy Is No Longer Only For An Aching Body
The days are gone when people used to think that a massage was only for people who have had long days and who need a good massage to make their bodies feel better. Today, and thanks to the scientific research that has gone into what a massage really does for you, it has become widely known that massage therapy is actually great for the soul too. It is no longer just for the body. As a matter of fact, the next time that you’ve got the blues and could use a pick me up, try getting a massage and see the good that it will do to you.
Health care is so important nowadays. The world can be a tough place to live in and your mental health is crucial in order to be okay. Try massage therapy and do not be one of the few who still believe that it is only good for luxury.
As for the skeptics who question this claim, have a look below at the benefits of massage therapy towards mental health.
How Exactly Does Massage Therapy Support Mental Health
- Massage therapy increases oxytocin and alleviates depression – People who suffer from depression really have it bad. They experience days when they are unable to even get out of bed in the morning. It’s a debilitating condition that can affect one’s entire life. However, in a study done, they were able to connect the positive benefits of massage therapy with the alleviation of depression. By altering body chemistry and increasing serotonin and dopamine, massage therapy was able to alter the mind and body and brought about wonderful positive results. Loneliness is one of the effects of depression and leaves victims feeling completely isolated, which makes them avoid society even further. But through massage therapy, patients are able to release oxytocin and find themselves able to engage with people or be able to be in social environments.
- Massage therapy gives relief to anxiety – Cortisol is a stress hormone that is reduced by up to 30% during a one hour massage therapy session. For people with very serious cases of anxiety, laying on a massage table might sound like a very uncomfortable place to be, but experts agree that it truly is good for you and that even very stressed out people with anxiety should give it a go. In fact, a massage therapy session is indeed a safe place where people are able to stray away from the triggers that shoot up their anxiety. In 2010 a study was done that proved that 50% of anxiety was reduced during a massage.
- Improved concentration due to massage therapy – This is one of the greatest discoveries in terms of massage therapy. You may not believe it at first but one must realize that the way this works is rather simple. Tension causes disruptions in a person’s blood flow and this disruption makes it more difficult for individuals to concentrate. When you receive a massage, the tension in your body will be released and your blood flow will improve and this will help you to have better concentration. Beyond the improved blood flow, your body will also increase its oxygen intake as well as improve the amount of nutrients being fed into the brain, all of these are advantages in terms of having better focus. Another study was able to determine heightened alertness after receiving a fifteen minute massage while just sitting on a chair. The same study concluded that people who receive massages are also quicker at solving math problems and do so with better accuracy.
- Get a massage and have more energy – This is particularly vital for people who suffer from mental health. Poor mental health wears people down, they become lethargic and have less in them to go out and live life. But massage therapy works wonders for them primarily due to increased blood circulation that actually causes a chain reaction of other great benefits. Smooth and clear blood circulation will remove toxins from your body, which will then give your body a better chance at fighting off unwanted bodily threats. When a masseuse applies pressure on your body during a massage, your lymphatic system is sparked and this helps your body detoxify which will make your blood circulate better, giving you a feeling of freshness an clarity that you rarely find in your daily routine.
- Beat insomnia through massage therapy – Insomnia sure is a very frustrating illness to have. Night by night, no matter what you do and how you try to rearrange your schedule in order to lull yourself to sleep at an earlier time, nothing works and you find yourself still awake in the wee hours of the morning and sometimes even still awake at dawn! So what better way to fight insomnia than with massage therapy? There is a technique called the sleep massage which puts you in a state of maximum relaxation with movements designed to bring you calmness and deep slumber. Research tells us that massage therapy reduces stress which hence brings an increased amount of serotonin and makes us able to relax. Achieve that and you will find that it will be easier to fall asleep.
Mental Health Is A Growing Problem
People have been suffering from mental health for hundreds of years but it is only recently that the severity of this issue has really come to be. Actually, mental health is still rather new that some people don’t even believe in it or don’t know what to make of it. Other people are so uncomfortable with the topic that they freeze up at the mere mention of words like depression or anxiety.
But the fact is that mental health illness is growing and the number of patients that are suffering from this terrible disease are multiplying. Thankfully however, is that more and more doctors are studying this terrible disease and learning what can be done in order to help patients recover or at the very least, cope with the illness through various methods of healing.
Give Massage Therapy A Try
Massage therapy has many claims, and one of them is that it can be very helpful to patients who suffer from mental illnesses. Massage therapy strengthens our bodies and heals our minds, we’ve seen it work its magic by watching the quality of life of thousands of patients improve. Different levels of depression and anxiety will react to massage therapy in different ways but nonetheless, if you know someone who is suffering from depression or any other type of mental illness, encourage them to try massage therapy. Worse comes to worse, nothing bad will happen. If however you are part of the thousands that can benefit from massage therapy helping your mental health, than enjoy an easier life with massage therapy.